Guidelines for Personal Cleanliness and Orderliness
- You are expected to practice proper personal hygiene by taking a bath daily, brushing your teeth regularly, wear clean clothing and socks every morning, keeping your hair combed and cut (hair length needs to be above the collar),) and either clean shaven or beard trimmed (do not start growing a beard while in Miracle Lake). If you need toilet articles or clothing, you are expected to let staff know.
- A washing machine is available for your use. Do not run machines at Quiet Time, or on Sunday. Use the dryer only in bad weather. Every room has an assigned wash day. Bed sheets are to be washed weekly each wash day. Clothes need to be washed before supper.
- Make up your bed every morning when you get out of it. Keep your room and bathroom (including shower) clean and orderly at all times. When you come to breakfast, be dressed for the day.
- The staff reserves the right to inspect your room at any time. These inspections will be conducted randomly.
- If you are sick and unable to come to class or work, those days will be added on to the end of your eight-week program before you receive your certificate of completion.
- Proper clothing must be worn in camp area. Shoes, shirts and long pants, must be worn in the dining and worship area. No tank tops or sleeveless shirts may be worn to worship or in dining area. Remove caps during meals and inside the house. Shorts may be worn during summer schedule except for church services.
Guidelines for Courtesy Toward Others
- Kidding, joking, pranks, horseplay, wrestling and fighting may appear to be unrelated. However, any of these may be used by Satan to embarrass, humiliate and/or degrade another student. Experience indicates the behavior pattern may follow the sequence as listed. “Just having a little fun.’’ at another student’s expense is not appropriate behavior for any Miracle Lake Christian Training Center student. Fighting or aggressive behavior will not be tolerated and will result in immediate dismissal.
- Everyone must observe Personal Devotion everyday (Monday through Sunday). Refer to daily schedule for times. No conversations or naps are to take place during personal devotion. You will spend this time in your room unless otherwise authorized.
- PRIVACY- Each man’s room is his home at Miracle Lake. Respect his right to privacy. Do not take any articles out of anyone’s room without their consent. Do not “hang out “in anyone’s room.
- Your mail will be handed out to you at 5:30 p.m… DO NOT come into the office to get it or ask about it. Your family should supply stamps and envelopes. Outgoing mail should be deposited in the box outside of Chapel before 8:15 a.m… Your mail will be checked by Staff prior to receiving it.
- Do not remove food, cups or glasses from dining area. Do not keep food or drinks in your room. This causes sanitation and bug problems. Any food or drinks brought by family are to be shared by everyone. This extra food or drink will be handled through the kitchen. You are to drink only water between meals and there are no snacks allowed between meals.
- Turn off all lights and electrical units when not in use. Take personal responsibility for saving electricity.
- Do not drive camp vehicles without permission. Oil, water and fuel must be checked before using trucks, tractors and lawnmowers. If you get a vehicle stuck, cut the motor off immediately and report it to the staff. Trucks and tractors are not to be operated unless assigned by a staff member. Speed limit for vehicles in the camp is 20 mph.
- The phone at Miracle Lake is a business phone and is not for student use except in emergencies. Do not ask to use it. Learn to write letters. This is a necessary part of your discipline. No cell phones are not permitted. Neither are students permitted to use cell phones, belonging to visitors. If you are found with a cell phone in your possession, it will result in an immediate dismissal.
Guidelines Regarding Student Movement
- You are not to leave the Miracle Lake grounds without permission or supervision. There will be no trips to town or weekends off while you are in the eight-week period of training. If you leave the property without permission, it will result in an immediate dismissal.
- Students are not allowed to keep their vehicles at Miracle Lake during their eight-week training period.
Guidelines Against Things That Are a Detriment to Your Program
- The use of tobacco is not permitted by staff or students at Miracle Lake. Substance abuse is one of the primary areas that we deal with at Miracle Lake. I1984 U.S. surgeon General C. Everett Koop wrote that nicotine had an addictiveness similar to that of heroin or cocaine. Nicotine has very powerful effects on arteries throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulate and It raises blood pressure, and is a vasoconstriction, making it harder for the heart to pump through the constricted arteries. It causes the body to release its stores of fat and cholesterol into the blood. Statistics show that eighty-five percent of those who remain in bondage to tobacco will go back to drugs and alcohol.
- Non-narcotic medications can only be used as prescribed by a physician. All medications must be checked in with staff upon admission. Prescription medications will be dispensed as prescribed, by staff.
19. Possession or use of any unapproved prescription drugs, illegal drugs or alcohol are grounds for immediate dismissal.
- No audio or visual electronic devises (radios, CD players, televisions) are permitted.
- We ask while you are enrolled at Miracle Lake that any literature you read must be Christian-based in nature and will contribute to your spiritual growth.
- You must be completely detoxified from drugs or alcohol prior to being admitted.
- Do not engage in extended conversations about your past life in alcohol, drugs, jail or prison. If you wasted fifteen years in that kind of life, you will be wasting another fifteen minutes talking about it. You have come to Miracle Lake to get away from that life-style, not to cultivate it. Talk about the present and future, not the past. Philippians 3:13-14 will tell you how to look at the past and how to look into the future- “…forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:8 will tell you what to think about in the present- “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, …honest, …just, …pure, …lovely, …of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”
- Establishing good work habits is a vital part of rebuilding your life. A lack of discipline in your work habits reflects a lack of sincerity in your effort to change your lifestyle. You will be involved in some type of work detail during each weekday.
- No playing cards are allowed on the premises. Some games are games of chance. Some games are games of skill. Some games are a combination of chance and skill. There is absolutely no chance or gamble in the Christian life – it’s a sure thing because it is lived by faith in God’s eternal word. You are here to learn to live by faith – not by chance.
Board games are available and can be played during the free time.
Guidelines for Living Quarters & Kitchen
- The house manager will also post a list of kitchen chores (cooking and cleaning) each week. You are expected to read through these rules carefully and abide by them. You are expected to abide by kitchen chore assignments also. Each person must cooperate in order to ensure harmony while living together in a dorm atmosphere.
Guidelines for Monitoring Your Growth
- You will identify your problem areas and monitor your progress in the program using the Weekly Moral Inventory.
- You will not be allowed to have any money or personal I.D. Having any amount money in your possession will result in being placed on a Step 2 disciplinary action.
- You will be evaluated daily in these areas- (a) room cleanliness, (b) class participation, (c) work habits, and (d) general attitude.